Dr. Ming Wang, Harvard & MIT (MD); PhD (laser physics), was interviewed by Community Health magazine about cataracts and keeping your vision intact.
According to the article titled “Cataracts and keeping your vision intact”:
Cataracts affect more than 24 million Americans age 40 and older, according to the American Academy of Ophthalmology. And by age 75, half of all Americans have cataracts, according to the National Eye Institute. In honor of Cataract Awareness Month in June, discover how they develop, what the symptoms look like, how they’re treated and how your vision can pay the price if you ignore them.
Ophthalmologist Dr. Ming Wang of the Wang Vision Institute in Nashville, Tennessee, says if cataracts are ignored and subsequently cataract surgery is ignored, the condition can become very severe. They’ll then have a chance to mature, and vision most likely will continue to worsen, Wang says.
People also might become legally blind from untreated cataracts, which can also cause total blindness if left untreated. The longer you wait for surgery, the more rigid and dense the cataract becomes.
“In rare circumstances … it can lead to painful and permanent loss of vision associated with eye inflammation or glaucoma,” Wang says. “For those with severe cataracts, vision activities are often affected significantly and because the onset is gradual, over time they can be somewhat unaware of the severity.
“For instance, I had a patient who came in for their visit one day after cataract surgery and was very upset. Initially, we were concerned she was dissatisfied with surgical outcome. ‘Dr. Wang,’ she remarked, ‘A few months ago I painted my dining room what I thought was a lovely shade of red. Today, I realized it’s purple! None of my family told me! Now I have to repaint.’ She was having significant color variation because of the density of her cataracts.”
Read the entire article here. Opthalmologists urge people to get checked for cataracts.
On Thursday, July 12, you can attend a free seminar hosted by Dr. Ming Wang to learn about eye health. The free seminar takes place at 6:30pm at the Embassy Suites in Nashville, located at 1811 Broadway. Register here.
Everyone who attends:
- Gets entered to the “Win a Free 3D LASIK” drawing. (offer link to details)
- Earns a $1200 gift certificate towards a free eye evaluation ($200) and $1,000 for 3D LASIK procedure.
- Earns a 25% off ($3000 value) if you bring two or more family/friends to the seminar.
- Gets a chance to win at least four 50% gift certificates ($6000 value) at the seminar.
- If you schedule a free eye evaluation and are not medically eligible then you can transfer your “Win a Free 3D LASIK” entry and the gift certificates to family/ friend.
Dr. Ming Wang is the state’s only surgeon who offers:
- 3D LASIK (18+)
- 3D Laser Kamra (45+)
- 3D Forever Young Lens Surgery (50+)
- 3D Laser Cataract Surgery (60+)